Men of mobilization age will be barred from leaving Russia after ‘referendums’
Russian authorities plan to close the borders to men of mobilization age, a source close to the Russian presidential administration told Meduza.
A second source, also close to the administration, says this will occur after the “referendums” which are currently ongoing in the self-proclaimed Donetsk and Luhansk people’s republics, and the occupied territories in the Kherson and Zaporizhia regions Ukraine. The “referendums” will end on the evening of September 27.
The source noted that there will be something like “exit visas.” Men will need to receive permission from the military enlistment office to leave Russia.
Meduza reported earlier that borders would remain open until the end of the “referendums” on September 27.
Mobilization in Russia began on September 21. According to Russian president Vladimir Putin, members of the reserves who have appropriate military specializations and combat experience are subject to conscription. A government web portal says that privates and sergeants ages 35 and under, junior officers 50 and under, and senior officers 55 and under are subject to mobilization on a “priority basis.” Soldiers and sergeants remain the reserves until age 50, and generals until age 70.
A source close to one of Russia’s federal ministries told Meduza that Russia plans to call up 1.2 million people for army service as part of the mobilization. The Kremlin denies it.