Navalny’s lawyer denies reports that the he was moved from Pokrov prison
Update. Alexey Navalny’s lawyer Vadim Kobzev told Open Media that his client has not been moved from Pokrov’s Penal Colony No. 2. “This is not the case,” Kobzev said, in response to questions about reports of Navalny’s transfer.
A local news outlet in the Vladimir region has reported that jailed opposition politician Alexey Navalny has been transferred out of Pokrov’s Penal Colony No. 2. This report has yet to be officially confirmed.
On Wednesday, April 7, the local outlet Pro Gorod wrote that according to their sources, Federal Penitentiary Service (FSIN) officials had removed Navalny from the prison in Pokrov and were taking him to an unknown destination. Pro Gorod speculated that Navalny may have been transferred to another prison facility in the Vladimir region.
Alexey Navalny’s lawyers, who visited the Pokrov penal colony on Wednesday, have yet to comment on these reports.
Alexey Navalny, who is serving a 2.5 year prison sentence, announced a hunger strike on March 31, demanding access to adequate medical treatment. Navalny has complained about pain in his back and numbness in his legs for the past few weeks. The Federal Penitentiary Service maintains that Navalny is being provided with all necessary medical care. On April 5, Izvestiya reported that Navalny had been moved to the prison’s sick ward due to “signs of a respiratory illness.”
On April 6, a demonstration calling for adequate medical treatment for Navalny took place outside of the prison in Pokrov. Police officers arrested nine people at the rally, including Navalny’s personal physician, Anastasia Vasilieva — the director of the medical workers’ union “Alyans Vrachey” (Doctors’ Alliance).