
Moscow says Britain will ‘have to answer’ for the UK-made drones hitting Russian refineries
The Russian Embassy in London has accused the United Kingdom of “deliberately opting for an escalation of the Ukraine crisis” after news reports said British-made drones had been used in strikes deep inside Russia.
“London’s actions will inevitably carry consequences for which it will have to answer,” the embassy said in a statement. “The deeper its involvement in the conflict and the greater its support for Kyiv’s terrorist machine, the higher the price it will pay for this.”
The embassy did not specify exactly what “consequences” the United Kingdom should expect. Russia has threatened Britain before over British deliveries of Storm Shadow missiles and drone-manufacturing technology to Ukraine.
Britain’s Defense Ministry told the BBC that the country stands “shoulder to shoulder” with Ukraine. “We are committed to providing the equipment Ukraine needs to defend itself against Putin’s illegal invasion,” a ministry representative said.
On August 16, The Sunday Times first reported the use of British drones in long-range strikes. According to the newspaper, Ukraine has recently received two types of drones from the United Kingdom: one with a range of about 150 miles (240 kilometers), the other about 600 miles (960 kilometers).
The newspaper said the drones were used in this summer’s campaign of long-range strikes on Russian territory, including attacks on oil refineries and warehouses belonging to the Russian online retailer Wildberries. A well-placed military source later confirmed to the BBC that British drones had been used.
Britain’s Defense Ministry first said in April that it would send long-range strike drones to Ukraine, as part of an aid package worth 500 million pounds — the largest such package since the start of the war. The package reportedly included more than 150,000 drones.
The war in photos: Pechenihy, Ukraine’s Kharkiv region
Russian forces carried out a missile strike on the village of Pechenihy in Ukraine’s Kharkiv region on Tuesday morning, hitting a crowded intersection where a post office, stores, and homes stand. Ukrainian authorities said 10 people were killed and 17 injured. President Volodymyr Zelensky said Ukraine “will certainly respond to this Russian strike.”
State Emergency Service of Ukraine / Reuters / Scanpix / LETA
State Emergency Service of Ukraine / Reuters / Scanpix / LETA
Sergey Bobok / AFP / Scanpix / LETA
Sergey Bobok / AFP / Scanpix / LETA
Sergey Bobok / AFP / Scanpix / LETA
At Meduza, we are committed to transparency about our use of artificial intelligence in the newsroom. The story you’re reading was written by one of our living, breathing journalists and translated from Russian using an AI model configured to follow our strict editorial standards. This translation process is the result of extensive testing and refinements to ensure our English-language coverage is timely and accurate. A Meduza editor reviews every draft before publication.
If you find any errors in this translation, please contact us at reports@meduza.io.
To read Meduza’s exclusive content in English, please subscribe to our newsletter.