- Share to or
Meduza is hiring a news editor for its English-language edition
Meduza seeks a news editor to join the publication’s English-language edition. The news editor will be required to translate feature-length reporting and breaking news coverage to help bring Meduza’s journalism to a global audience. Candidates must have native-level fluency in English and extremely strong Russian-language skills.
This position requires consistent work on weekends and some weekdays.
Meduza publishes news and feature stories from hundreds of sources in Russia and across Eastern Europe and Eurasia. We value our independence and strive to be a reliable, trusted outlet for objective, verified, and unbiased information and sharp insights about the region. Meduza’s team includes some of Russia’s top professionals in news and reporting.
We seek candidates with strong regional knowledge and the capacity to translate short news briefs, long-read narrative reporting, explanatory journalism, and everything else you find at Meduza. You will be expected not just to translate but to abridge, summarize, and render Meduza’s content into English text that resonates with readers around the world.
What you’ll do as news editor
- Translate and abridge Meduza’s journalism, tackling both short news briefs and longer stories
- Proofread and edit completed work before publication
- Additional responsibilities include assisting with Meduza’s English-language social media
- This position requires consistent work on weekends and some weekdays
- During major events (for example, armed mutinies, deadly bombings, and the start of full-scale invasions), you’ll be expected to join Meduza’s rapid, live coverage
What you’ll bring to the job
- A bachelor’s degree and two years of professional or academic experience translating contemporary texts from Russian to English
- Area expertise (thorough knowledge of the politics, culture, and current events of Russia, Ukraine, or the surrounding region)
- The ability to work remotely through a digital workspace
- A lively writing style that doesn’t bore people to tears when they read about current events
How to apply
Submit a résumé and a cover letter explaining why you’d like to be our news editor, as well as one feature story or similar text you have translated from Russian to English in the past two years (PDFs or DOCs) to [email protected], addressed to Kevin Rothrock, subject line: “News Editor Position 2023.” Submissions are due by Sunday, August 6, 2023. The preferred start date for this job is as soon as possible. Candidates residing in the Eastern Hemisphere are encouraged to apply.
About this job:
Competitive salary. Includes paid holidays, vacation time, sick leave, and maternity leave.
This is a translation and editing job, not a reporting position.
Meduza does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, religion, disability, national origin, protected veteran status, or age.
- Share to or